The History of Wern Fawr
Published: Wednesday 27th Feb 2019
Wern Fawr Farm is a two storied Manor house. The main part of the house dates back to the late 16th or early 17th Century and is Grade II* listed.
Wern Fawr Farm was once the home of one of north Wales's most important families - the Love Parry’s. Way back in 1750 as they climbed the ladder of social success, Wern Fawr slipped out of their orbit when Love Parry the third moved to a more elegant home on Llŷn Peninsula. The house was originally built in 1570. Then Love Parry the Second (1696-1759), a grandson of Geoffrey Parry, one of Cromwell's chief officers in north Wales, added a cross wing. In 1721 Love Parry the Second became High Sheriff for Caernarfonshire following in his father's footsteps. He married Rachel Corbet and they had 9 children (Love Parry III, Ann Parry, Vincent Parry, Corbet Parry, Hugh Parry, John Parry, Richard Parry, William Parry and Catherine Parry) and was a probable owner of Bardsey Island. He acquired Wern Fawr through marriage and his son Love Parry the Third, the last male descendant, left it the same way. He married Sydney, apparently then a common name for a girl, the great-granddaughter of Owain Hughes, and went to live in the elegant Madryn. Wern Fawr has been changed: the cross wing was knocked down in 1800, the stones and roof timbers of the cross wing being used to build 'The Cottage' in lower Llanbedrog, but much of the original building remains. There are also two great fireplaces at either end of the manor. The chimney-stacks are typical of north Wales, in their off-square positioning to the house but perhaps most noteworthy is the original porch. Several exposed beams remain.
A 19th century wing was added on the southwest and outbuildings later added on the north, comprising a forge (now The Forge), a pig sty (now Rose Cottage), a cow shippon (now Camellia Cottage), a milking parlour (now The Cottage) and The Bragdy Wern to the south (former farm brewery) (now Bragdy Wern). Bragdy Wern was a substantial building in its day and was occupied in the early 1900's as a separate smallholding within the Wern Fawr Manor Farm estate they are now all our self-catering holiday cottages.
There used to be a public house 'The Stag' on the footpath towards Llanbedrog by the gate at the end of the Lane, which serviced all the people that lived around Wern Fawr. It is unfortunately no longer there.
Wern Fawr was part of the Madryn Estate and was sold separately by the Estate to cover gambling debts. It has 3 other sister houses, see pictures below.
The present owners Alan Harper-Smith spent his first 3½ years restoring the manor house and outbuildings to their former glory. Alan, alongside his wife, Helen have continued to expand the estate 54 acres of woodlands to the north of the property and fields to the east of the property for the horses totalling 75 acres in all. Making the estate a well-maintained, quiet and peaceful oasis with little or no traffic noise or light pollution. The land is no longer a working farm but there are horses on site, as well as, ducks, chickens, geese and guinea fowl. Wern Fawr Manor Farm estate is now run as a bed and breakfast and self-catering holiday cottage business which we are pleased to offer through Abersoch Holiday Homes so many more people can enjoy this idyllic and historic retreat.